Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Three Days for Three Daughters...

Today begins an international hunger strike (various degrees of striking) on behalf of three women in Guatemala who have lost their three children. It is believe that these children (and it is now KNOWN for one) that these children were offered for international adoptions and that these mothers have been ignored and harassed by their own government.

The website can be found here: http://www.threedaysforthreedaughters.typepad.com/

There are many links on this page of the stories of these women.... there are many more women out there that have involuntary lost their children to the adoption industry... right now they seem silent...but hopefully they will be given a voice.

I am participating in this cause because I am the mother to 4 Guatemalan children.

I adopted them believing that they were truly given of their mothers free will to be raised by another family.
I think adoption should be an option to mothers who choose not to parent... I do not however believe that mothers should be forced to relinquish.
I also believe that as an adoptive parent, I would not want to parent a child who's family wanted/ and was willing to raise them. I believe that biological ties should be respected... there are enough children without family members to raise them.... adoptees do NOT need to be produced. Some people involved with Guatemalan adoptions dismissed this...and felt the need to kidnap children for the adoption industry.

So, my little response to this injustice is that I am giving up meat for 3 days...
It is a tiny part to a huge problem.
Hopefully though, many tiny parts will contribute something to the larger problem.
I know the absolute joy and happiness that my children bring me... I cannot imagine life without them... I grieve for these moms who have lost their kids.... it devastates me.... I would hope that if something happened to my kids....that I would be rallied around also....

These moms deserve soo much better than what they have been getting...

2 comments:

Gardenia said...

that children are taken from their loving mothers is a tragedy and very disturbing. I pray the issues affecting these three women, and all others similarly affected, cam be resolved.

Anonymous said...

Yeah this is very sad all the way around!!!