Thursday, November 22, 2007

What were we celebrating????

Go Packers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok....well now that THAT is out there!!!!!
Things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving:
  • My boys and their sister!
  • My parents!
  • My husband!
  • Health!
  • The roofs over our heads!
  • Our educations and the fact that our kids will have education!
  • Health Care
  • Jobs
  • Our Democratic System
  • The ELECTIONS next year!

Really though... I mean Thanksgiving is such a nice, family holiday that doesnt revolve around presents and such... but still...what are we really celebrating???

The initial premise behind this holiday is imperialism and rascism.

Granted... I am hugely blessed to live here in the US... the more I travel, the more blessed I am. However, I cant help to think about the true meaning of this holiday.

I dont believe it is at all like "popular" though would lead us to believe. White man landing here for the most part was nothing but plundering, pillaging, and massacuring those who were already here. It is difficult to look at my boys who are part indiginious, and think of how many people were eliminated. I know in this day and age that ethinic genocides are still happening. It is all too curious to me why. Yes...on one level I do understand. On yet another level I absolutly do not.

Well.... as long as we are aware of what we are truly celebrating.... as I have been teaching my boys the real meaning of many holidays.... I hope that everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

I know our dinner is now over....and just waiting for my pie to cool.... and then sit in front of the tv the rest of the night while my rugrats run crazy around the house....

Living the dream! Everyday!

No comments: