Wednesday, April 16, 2008

No Mas Pachas!!!

I've been waiting to brag on my boys... had to make sure it was going to be a permanent change... and not something that we were able to just get away with while on a cruise ship!

So... K and F were still taking a bottle to sleep.
I wasnt totally worried about it... but sometimes... I just got tired of having a 2 1/2 year old wake up at 3 am asking for a pacha... I also worried about the timing of the transition... with Lady L coming home (hopefully very soon!!!), me starting law school, timing of it with potty training, etc... Granted... I didnt want to take it away from them too soon... I firmly believe in the right for them to feel totally secure to sleep.. and if it took a bottle...than by all means that is what they were gonna get... but I began to water them down a couple of months ago... and for almost a month before our cruise, they were getting just a tiny drop of powder...and 9 oz of water... (looked gross!) I found more and more unused bottles... so... I did back 4 bottles and 6 nipples.. and a full can of formula for the cruise... just in case...

The first night, in Ft. Lauderdale... they boys had been up since 7:30 am... with no nap... and we had gotten to the hotel a little after 1am... everyone was beyond exhausted.... they asked... we just told them, go to sleep... that was it...
First day on the cruise... for a nap... "momma! Pacha!!!" Uh... oh my! I'm soo sorry... I forgot them!!! I then offered them sippies of water... they were rejected... or at least that is what I think they were conveying by throwing them across the room while screaming PACHA!!!!
They did eventually fall asleep.
First night... "Momma! Pacha!" I'm soo sorry... I forgot to pack them!!! I then let them look through the drawers and empty suitcases to "prove" I didnt have them with me... of course...everything was safely placed on the top shelf of the closet!!!
Also, they were sleeping with me... so I think that helped... they all did fall asleep relatively quick.
They asked a couple of times for them throughout the week... but they managed without them.
Then... back in Ft. Lauderdale... Momma! Walgreens has Pachas!!!!!! Uh... no... they dont have the right ones!!! Ok...so I dont think they completely bought that one... but damm if they arent smart!!!
We have now been home a while... and ... they have been bottle free!!!! Now... they still ask for a sippy... which I am happy to provide! I'm one of those people who HATES to be thirsty! I carry water with me everywhere... so I see why they would want something...also, we dont allow them out of their rooms at random...they have to be let out... so it's not like they can get up and get something themselves.
I guess the true test will be when Lady L comes home...as she will still be on the bottle for a while... I've been talking up the "big boy cups" so hopefully they wont regress! I know E has been weaned before F came home... but when he saw F with a bottle, oh my... he did everything he could to steal it from him! L wont be in their room...but I still dont want them aggressive over her bottles!
It has really cut down on dishes!!!
Let's see... E's out of diapers... K's out of them during the day... no one takes a bottle... hmmm... My boys are growing up!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Go, boys, go! They are growing up! They are just too cute!
Kerri and Ruby

Gwen, Jenny, & Mia said...

Wow! Good for you for the boys getting rid of the bottle. Mia still has hers 2 times a day and I get a lot of slack from our family.

So you are starting law school and you have three boys and a girl on the way!?!? How do you do it!

Eventually we will meet at some Hatw something, someday!

Good to hear from you and I am glad that you are getting close to getting your daughter home!