Sunday, January 3, 2010

Another Funeral....


I have been seeing a lot of my family in the past 6 months...
It hasnt been for good reasons though...
My cousin passed away a few months ago....and on the 29th of Dec. my Great-Uncle passed away.
My Uncle Louie was 93 years old. He was born in Hungary and immigrated here in his teens. He served in the US Army in Northern Africa during WWII.He was a cook for the Army. After the war he worked as a delivery driver for a bakery in Delray which was a Hungarian neighborhood in Detroit. He was a super fun guy to be around. He had great stories to tell, loved to play cards, loved to smoke his cigarettes, and he loved to make food. He was a great cook. He made the best kobash (Hungarian Sausage) and I will always remember him making the abat selena (it is the fattest part of the bacon). You roast it on a spit and catch the drippings off of it on home made Hungarian bread... soaking the bread in the fat drippings... and then adding salt, tomatoes, and onions. I also loved his bean soup. I can remember going to his house and begging for his bean soup. I also remember asking for a to-go bag for my ride home... I needed some snacks for my 30 min ride! *laughs*
He really was a fun guy and a great cook.
He was married to my Aunt Rose for over 60 years.... I cant imagine being in her position.

My family isnt what I would consider close. Especially in the past 10 years.... I could be sitting next to some of my relatives and not know who they are. Now though I have now seen my etended family twice in the past few years. In a way it's nice. I really dont know my cousins very well... and beyond that I have no clue who people are. My cousins are quite older than I am...and they have kids....who I dont know....
I miss knowing people in my family...especially now that I have kids... I want them to have family to reach out to... It's just difficult.
Today was my uncle's wake.... tomorrow is his funeral.
I saw many people in my family today... and there will be more people tomorrow... hopefully I can actually make connections with some family members.... at least then something good would come out of something so sad.

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Sorry for your loss. It's odd how as we get older, it seems the only time we see family is for weddings or funerals. It's one of the really bad things about having such a mobile society these days...

Gardenia said...

So sorry for your loss of your Uncle Louie. May God grant perpetual light upon his soul. It is good to reconnect with extended family.