Tuesday, January 26, 2010

LawSchoolFail


I am not usually speechless.
Really.
I've been known to run my mouth a little more than I should...but not really to be silent...
Well... once again....I have been silenced... and I'm pissed off.
Last class of the day.... 4th class today....
I get called on right off the bat... This is evidence...taught by the chief fed judge in our area.
Not just "any" prof...
So... he calls on me... I stand up (as is his policy)...he gives me a fact pattern....and....well....
I have NO FLIPPIN CLUE WHAT THE HELL I AM SUPPOSED TO SAY!
All I managed to spit out was that .38 is a common caliber...
Yep... I know my guns...
I know absolutely nothing about the Federal Rules of Evidence... but damn it I know my guns!
I could have screamed!!!!
I wanted to scream actually.....
I wanted to tell him I had no fing clue...and PASS....but he doesnt allow for passes... lucky me.
Really... I do my reading... I understand my cases...but when it comes time to...well apply things... yea...so lacking in THAT skill!
That is one reason law school sucks!
Now...if someone, anyone would have been willing to take me on as free labor in the past year, I might have had a fighting chance...but for those of us who cannot find jobs where we are willing to work for free... we are put at a distinct disadvantage when it comes time to actually make an argument.
and yet...here I am again writing out cover letters and such to try to get a job (read: will work insane hours for FREE kind of job) and will probably end up without again...
and yes.. I will probably graduate...and yes... I will probably pass the bar... but no... I will have no flippin clue how the hell to practice law....
I have a sneaking suspicion that I may end up in school again after law school....
For what???
Good question....
*laughs*
I am gonna try to go to bed now....
I have class tomorrow...at least I know I am NOT on call tomorrow.

2 comments:

veggiemom said...

Sorry! :-( That was how I felt about nursing school a lot of the time but I did eventually learn to be a nurse, even though I went to work terrified for the first 9 months (that I'd accidentally kill someone). You'll learn how to be a lawyer too!!!

Gardenia said...

your post brought back memories for me. It's ok, really. it happens, and may even happen again. but you will get through and pass and get sworn in and be a super lawyer. take a day at a time.